2019 Democracy Project Institute for Teachers
The Democracy Project Institute for Teachers brings together teachers and leaders in government and education to discuss the importance of civic participation for the future of our democratic society and collaborate on ways to inspire active youth citizenship.
Teachers will have the opportunity to:
- Meet and interact with government leaders, the media, and policy experts in discussions about a contemporary, high-profile issue
- Refresh their appreciation of the conflict and compromise that ensure true representative democracy
- Develop innovative and interactive teaching strategies to inspire youth to become involved in democracy
- Deepen their understanding of Delaware and national civics standards
- Share ideas and network with colleagues and program speakers
The Institute is designed to improve the teaching and learning of civics by enhancing participants' content knowledge, practices, and understanding of standards-both civics and literacy-and assessments.
The Institute will address challenges raised at the 2019 Delaware Summit on Civics Education. It will be held on the University of Delaware’s Main Campus in Newark, Delaware, with trips to Dover and Washington, D.C. Enrollment is open to teachers of grades 4–12. Each teacher earns a $300 stipend for completing the program.
Save the date and stay tuned for additional information.
For more information, visit:
Friday, June 21, 2019