Moved Online: Beginning Farmer Program
UD Cooperative Extension has decided to move online, postpone or cancel all public events and programs through April 19, 2020, or until further notice. If you have registered for this event, you will be contacted directly by the program leader with further details. For more information on these cancelations, please visit udel.edu/extension.
Delaware Beginning Farmer Program is for new and beginner farmers working in small-scale vegetable and/or fruit production. Through hands-on training, demonstrations, workshops, field trips and farm tours, as well as self-study, growers will spend an entire season learning and growing with Delaware Cooperative Extension, and other invited agriculture industry professionals.
Although not limited to the following topics, this training will explore the fundamentals of soil fertility and health, basic crop production, integrated pest management, food safety, and business planning and development. This training will also provide an excellent networking opportunity.
Sessions are held at the New Castle County Extension Office on the University of Delaware campus, 461 Wyoming Road, Newark, unless otherwise indicated.
2020 DELAWARE BEGINNING FARMER PROGRAM DATES AND TOPICS
In partnership with Northeast Region Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Program (SARE) and Future Harvest, Chesapeake Alliance for Sustainable Agriculture (CASA).
- Wednesday, January 22, 6-8 pm, Course Orientation
- Wednesday, January 29, 6-8 pm, Developing a Small Farm, Business Planning
- Wednesday, February 19, 6-8 pm, Soil Health
- Saturday, February 22, 9-11 am, Hands-on Planting and Setting Up an Indoor Seed Starter Unit at Fischer Greenhouse
- Wednesday, March 18, 6-8 pm, Variety Selection
- Saturday, March 21, 9-11 am, Season Extension at Historic Penn Farm
- Wednesday, April 15, 6-8 pm, Integrated Pest Management
- Saturday, April 18, 9-11 am, Plant Diagnostics, Irrigation at Coverdale Farm
- Wednesday, May 27, 6-8 pm, Weed Management
- Saturday, May 30, 9-11 am, additional topics tbd at Hundred Acre Farm
There will be an optional session to assist program participants in better understanding the online learning technology and tools we will use during the training program on Wednesday, February 5, either 12-1 p.m. or 6-7 p.m.
This program is brought to you by University of Delaware Cooperative Extension, a service of the UD College of Agriculture and Natural Resources—a land-grant institution.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider. If you have special needs that need to be accommodated, please contact the office two weeks prior to the event.
Wednesday, April 15, 2020 at 6:00pm to 8:00pm
Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 9:00am to 11:00am
Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 6:00pm to 8:00pm
New Castle County Cooperative Extension
461 Wyoming Road, Newark, DE 19711